Do you like my blog

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Edible Schoolyard and Night in Global Village

On iTunes U you can find these two podcast. Edible Schoolyard is a program with the Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California that takes the class to the outside. These students learn to plant, harvest, and cook crops. While they are doing this they learn math, science, social studies, and other subjects. Then the Night in Global Village is a program at the Rocky Mountain School of Expeditionary Learning in Perryville, Arkansas. Groups of students come to experience life in a third world nation setting for one day. One group is given nothing and another group is everything they are made to come together and help one another. This is made to teach the children how privileged we are.

These podcast can help me in my teaching. It can give me different ideals on how to teach subjects and lessons where they are not so routine. Maybe one day for science instead of staying in the classroom we can go outside and study the plant itself.

It can also help to teach the children to be creative. I can also show them that we are all different and unique in our own ways. Even though I couldn’t do the Night in Global Village per say I can show them how privileged we are so they do not take advantage of the education they are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment